Monday, August 11, 2008

News taken for granted?

Imagine reading about crimes in your local newspaper and not knowing if they occurred in your neighborhood or not. This happened over the last few months in Buffalo, N.Y.

According to the Associated Press article, the police department removed information such as location of incidents from the computers used by reporters. The article didn't say exactly how long this has gone on, but stated that this occurred in recent months. Residents and the local paper voiced their concerns and the mayor, Byron Brown, ordered the police to start providing the crime information again.

This is another example of information we receive from our news outlets that more often than not we take for granted. I know I get comfort in knowing that most crimes I read about didn't happen close to where I live. And when they do, I certainly want to know about it!

No comments: